"Well, in the Great Depression, a lot of people just died."

Interesting.  Do you mean a lot more people than normal?  I am curious
because life expectancy increased during the Great Depression.  It increased
from 57.1 years to 63.3 years.

"They were mostly cared for on an ad-hoc basis in local charities and poor
houses."

Charities and poor houses?  Yes in a sense.  But who ran the charities and
poor houses?  Was there no individual charity?

"However, most of the country lived in a rural area and was able to gain
some sort of sustaining livelihood from farming/fishing/etc."

Sure, most did.  Does that mean that all were self-sufficient at all times
or did they at some point rely on the charity of neighbors and friends?
There were droughts, fires, outbreaks of disease and sickness, premature
death of the main provider, and so on.

"We started urban renewal in the late 40s and changed the makeup of the
population of our cities and suburbs substantially. The creation of public
housing in the process did provide housing for many of the poor but also
contributed to long term problems for many of the neighborhoods as well,
especially when dealing with minority population centers."

So, are you saying government meddled in redistribution of wealth, and the
results are long term problems in minority neighborhoods? Or that the
governments dabbling in in urban renewal caused white flight?

-

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. — I
think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in
poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much,
and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were
made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course
became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more
they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin