You should give it a read sometime. It is a principle Gnostic gospel,
though it doesn't go as far as some of the Gnostic movement (from what
I understand). I found portions of it definitely wacky (and it has
been a good 15-odd years since I read it) but it really does a good
job showing the diversity of opinion in early Christianity. I was very
much struck at how the formation of a Church with a capital C really
required an effort to mainstream things and develop a more singular
public face for the new religion. Different voices could have gained
more control in the early days and the modern notion of Christianity
would likely be very different.

Cheers,
Judah