On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Sisk, Kris <ks...@gckschools.com> wrote:

> Not quite but there are quite a few similarities. For instance I observe
> the Sabbath on the same day (Saturday) and in the same way as a Jew
> would and I follow an almost kosher diet (my food doesn't have to be
> kosher killed or blessed by a Rabbi but other than that it's pretty much
> the same).

That's cool.

> The Bible may have been decided by committee, but a selection narrowed
> down by a committee from a larger pool is better than mixing and
> mingling other religions to form your own.

Why is that better, out of curiosity? And how did the Council of
Carthage not mix and mingle religions together to form Christianity?
At the very least, they selectively took elements of Judaism and
combined it with some of the teachings of the Apostles while rejecting
others, such as the Gnostic tradition.

Personally, I favor a direct relationship between an individual and
whatever "higher powers" they commune with, so I find the notion of a
Church to be, at best, unhelpful and, at worst, very destructive
spiritually. Churches have a mixed record as a social institution.
Still, I find it hard to believe that any modern religion has sprung
up fully formed. Human institutions change through time, borrowing
ideas, changing ideas and discarding ideas. That isn't necessarily a
good thing or a bad thing, it just is. I suppose I can support the
idea that you want your religious institution to be "more pure" but
shouldn't that purity be based on what you feel God wants rather than
tossing aside ideas because they were also used by other institutions?

Judah