"How do you determine your ethnicity? When the census form comes to you, how
do you go about figuring out what to put down?"

Exactly. You make my point for me.  Poverty is much easier to define and
check.

"The reasons that programs like affirmative action were put into place
originally aren't gone yet. "

How so?  Proof?

Where is there a systematic oppression based on race in school admissions or
the work place?

The President is black.
The best golfer in the world is black (or at least he was the best until
last November).
Two out of the last three Secretary of States have been black.
In 2009, Darrius Rucker was Country Music New Artist of the Year.  That's
right, Country.
The head of the GOP is black.  That's right, the GOP.
The pop charts are represented well beyond proportion of population by black
artist and producers.
The NFL, MLB, and the NBA are well represented by Blacks.
A Black coach recently coached the winning team in the Super Bowl.
Five Fortune 500 companies have Black CEO's.  While not a great percentage,
it is infinitely better than it was when affirmative action started.
Oprah Winfrey is the highest paid personality on TV.
The two best female tennis players in the world are Black.
The Attorney General is Black.
The House Ways and Means committee is chaired by a Black.
The Head of Neurosurgery at John Hopkins is Black (read Gifted Hands - great
book).
There are two Black Governors and many metropolitan cities have Black
Mayors.
The most famous contemporary poet in our country is Black (Maya Angelou).
There is a Black Supreme Court Justice.
The highest paid actor and leading grosser over the last 10 years is Black
(Will Smith).

There are numerous other examples.

If there were a systematic oppression of Blacks, these men and women would
not have had the opportunity to achieve what they have.

When you help the poor, you encompass all Blacks who are poor.  When you
help only the one race, you leave out the poor of other races.  By any other
name, that is discrimination.

-