http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Mosque-supporters-beg-George-W-Bush-to-come-to-Obamas-rescue-100977179.html#ixzz0wzRzc55B

Mosque supporters beg George W. Bush to come to Obama's rescue
By: Byron York

There's a new argument emerging among supporters of the Ground Zero
mosque. Distressed by President Obama's waffling on the issue, they're
calling on former President George W. Bush to announce his support for
the project, because in this case Bush understands better than Obama
the connection between the war on terror and the larger question of
America's relationship with Islam. It's an extraordinary change of
position for commentators who long argued that Bush had done grievous
harm to America's image in the Muslim world and that Obama represented
a fresh start for the United States. Nevertheless, they are now seeing
a different side of the former president.

"It's time for W. to weigh in," writes the New York Times' Maureen
Dowd. Bush, Dowd explains, understands that "you can't have an
effective war against the terrorists if it is a war on Islam." Dowd
finds it "odd" that Obama seems less sure on that matter. But to set
things back on the right course, she says, "W. needs to get his
bullhorn back out" -- a reference to Bush's famous "the people who
knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!" speech at
Ground Zero on September 14, 2001.

Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson is also looking for an
assist from Bush. "I…would love to hear from former President Bush on
this issue," Robinson wrote Tuesday in a Post chat session. "He held
Ramadan iftar dinners in the White House as part of a much broader
effort to show that our fight against the al-Qaeda murderers who
attacked us on 9/11 was not a crusade against Islam. He was absolutely
right on this point, and it would be helpful to hear his views."

And Peter Beinart, a former editor of the New Republic, is also
feeling some nostalgia for the former president. "Words I never
thought I'd write: I pine for George W. Bush," Beinart wrote Tuesday
in The Daily Beast. "Whatever his flaws, the man respected religion,
all religion." Beinart longs for the days when Bush "used to say that
the 'war on terror' was a struggle on behalf of Muslims, decent folks
who wanted nothing more than to live free like you and me…"

For the moment, with Obama failing to live up to expectations,
Bush-bashing is over. It's all a little amusing -- and perhaps a
little maddening -- for some members of the Bush circle. When I asked
Karl Rove to comment, he responded that it means "redemption is always
available for liberals and time causes even the most stubborn of
ideologues to revisit mistaken judgments." But won't these Bush
critics shortly return to criticizing Bush? "This Bush swoon by
selected members of the left commentariat is temporary," Rove
answered. "Their swamp fevers will return momentarily."

Bush himself has declined to comment on the mosque affai