"You seemed to be claiming that the Health Insurance Reform bill was 100% a
Democratic construct that blocked out Republican input and kowtowed to the
extremities of the Democratic party. "

I am claiming that since it's the truth.

"But it has nothing to do with Democrats working with Republicans on
healthcare."

Bullshit.  The pressure was already on to kill the bill.  The Republicans
wanted to subpoena more information about some of the dealings going on.
 More bad public perception would have increased the pressure to kill the
Obama Care.

-

08-11-2009:  I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter, because,
frankly, we historically have had a employer-based system in this country,
with private insurers, and for us to transition to a system like that, I
believe would be too disruptive.

06-30-2003:  A single-payer health care plan, a universal health care plan.
That's what I’d like to see.

03-24-2007:  My commitment is to make sure that we've got universal
healthcare for all Americans by the end of my first term as president. I
would hope that we could set up a system that allows those who can't go
through their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some
sort.  But I don't think we're going to be able to eliminate employer
coverage immediately. There's going to be potentially some transition
process. I can envision a decade out, or 15 years out, or 20 years out.

- Barack Obama