"See my earlier message about the legislation out here.  San
Francisco doesn't care what the rest of the nation things."

No doubt.

However, there are repercussions that could be out of SF's hands.  While SF
might not care what the rest of the nation thinks, I bet SF likes money.
 People might start actually stop going to SF for vacations since they don't
want to support the nanny regime.  I imagine that SF makes quite a bit on
tourism.

Then there are the cost of potential lawsuits by McDonalds.  If SF is
anything like the rest of CA, it doesn't have the money to fight a prolonged
legal battle.

-
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson