"Solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic
indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the
triggering of earthquakes" -
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1967E%26PSL...3..417S
I like that quote. It says something that you don't want to see. A
relationship exists but is in no way exclusive. I think that's the problem
here. You're looking at it as an all or nothing situation. Solar flares
either cause or do not cause earthquakes. The science is seeing the
relationship as one part of the equation, not the whole of it.
Does a solar flare have an effect on the Earths EM field? If yes, does the
Earths EM field have an effect on the physical movement and/or nature of the
planet? If yes, then does the physical movement and/or nature of the planet
relate to earthquakes? If yes then by the chain rule solar flares have an
effect on earthquakes. Not an exclusive effect but an effect none the less.