On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Greg Morphis <gmorp...@gmail.com> wrote:

 However, it has never been demonstrated that
> there is a causal relationship between space weather and earthquakes.

'never been demonstrated' != 'there is no relationship'

It is possible there is a relationship there we just cannot see it.
Either for lack of technology or other reasons. In 1200 people thought
the world was flat because technology at the time could not prove it
was round. Does this mean that the world was flat until technology
could prove it was round?

That being said I am going to invoke two of my mantras on this list.

1. You cannot prove a negative.
2. Correlation != causation.

While I do not think the solar flares caused the earthquake, I do not
know enough about either solar flares nor earthquakes to say with any
certainty they are not related, as such, I remain open to the
possibility that there may actually be a relationship there.

--
Scott Stroz

http://xkcd.com/386/