>The most expensive insurance claim related to a motorcycle accident
>involves a woman who fell from the back of the cycle and was dragged
>down the road because her jeans got caught on the kickstand.  She
>spent months in the hospital having multiple operations to reconstruct
>her pelvic region, and remove all the road debris embedded in her
>naughty bits.
>
>So, should butt shields be required for all motorcycle riders?  There
>has to be a point at which the government stops telling us what to do
>to protect ourselves in the name of "public interest".

Ok then why should I have to pay for your immediate emergency room care. Or for
your long term care in an assisted living facility since you'll be paralyzed
from the neck down, (with some that won't matter, they're already paralyzed
from the neck up).

Here's a little article that looked at rate of head injuries since Pennsylvania
repealed its helmet law:

Head Injuries Increase Dramatically After Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal
ScienceDaily (June 16, 2008) —
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080612162240.htm

Pennsylvania motorcyclists suffered large increases in head injury deaths and
hospitalizations in the two years following the repeal of its motorcycle helmet
law, according to a University of Pittsburgh study. Even after accounting for
increases in motorcycle registrations that occurred during this period, study
authors noted a 32 percent increase in head injury deaths and a 42 percent
increase in head injury-related hospitalizations, raising concerns about
motorcyclists' safety and the impact of this trend on health care costs.

So again why should I have to pay for your stupidity if you refuse to wear a
helmet.