"Can the ipad run all 3 big book store ebook formats? You have kindle
format, nook format and the eobo or whatever borders uses..?"

I think there are only two formats.  The kindle format and epub for everyone
else.  There is a kindle app that you can download for the iPad.  I believe
it is free.

Or, you can use Calibre to convert the kindle format to epub or the
opposite.  On Calibre, it is worth having even if you don't want to
convert.  It is a great organization tool for ebooks.  It will download
metadata and covers, has tagging, batch editing, and a great filtering
system if you want search.  Also, it is priced right:  free.

-

Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. -
Henry Kissinger

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go
out and buy some more tunnel. - John Quinton