On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Larry C. Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com>wrote:

> OK then why are the incidents of religious hate crimes going up.

Because intolerance may be rising. I didn't say it wasn't. You said
religious tolerance was "dead"....i think that was a bit hyperbole, that's
all.

> Reporting criteria has not changed. Its not just overt hate crimes
> either. Incidents like banning sharia is a good example, or the
> continual refrain about the war on religion/christmas etc. Or the
> efforts to get creatinism in the public schools. Those last two whines
> are classic. Thing is that the intolerance is increasing and not just
> a minority.

I agree with all those points. You know that I fight those as much as
anyone....especially the creationism thing.

But you said tolerance as promoted by Jefferson was dead....it isn't. It's
threatened, as you point out with your examples, but it's not dead.