so.... not to revive this zombie thread, but I can't resist restating
this. You don't know whether your journal article even applies. Larry,
the local neuropsych and statistics wonk, says no, although he seems
to think there might be a different problem. If I sank several days
into the statistics I might be able to evaluate the statistics part,
but you wouldn't believe me if I did, and I don't think I know enough
neuropsych to even attempt that.

If these methodology problems were pointed out before the Rees study,
then he, as a researcher in the field, could well have been aware of
them. Maybe even have taken them into account in his study design. If
he didn't, yeah, that might be a problem. But can you yourself tell
whether he did or not? You're doing what you accuse him of doing,
looking for support for a conclusion you have already drawn based on
"common sense."

This is why I dismiss your arguments most of the time, because they
invariably emerge as a huge waste of time and bandwidth. You could,
days ago, have said "something must be wrong with that, because it
doesn't make sense." You would not have convinced anyone, mind you,
but you still haven't, and in the meantime you have impugned the
integrity of the researchers in a multiplicity of ways. Maybe they are
evil people indeed, but you have produced no proof of this beyond the
fact that Firth, who did not carry out the actual testing, said
something that offended you.

I just don't understand the unceasing nastiness. You must be a very
unhappy person to think like this.  An analogy to your argument in
this thread: Jimmy Carter has committed hate crimes because he comes
from a southern state. Facepalm.

OK now... as you were, just had to say.