Media bias in the Trayvon Martin case?
CNN showed a clip about the case 41 times, MSNBC 13 times and Fox news 1
time.

The article explains that the more we see something on the news, the more
likely we as human beings are to think it is a problem and to pay attention
to it. That's why we may believe child abductions for example to be a huge
problem, when statistically it really isn't. The article asserts that there
is a responsibility which goes beyond merely reporting the truth when one
selects which out of a hundred stories gets airtime.

"Those of you who recall the headline are probably wondering what this
could possibly have to do with the tragic case of Trayvon Martin. I'll
outsource the full rundown to *Mother
Jones*<http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/what-happened-trayvon-martin-explained>,
but the quick version is this:

On the evening of February 26, Trayvon Martin--an unarmed 17-year-old
African American student--was confronted, shot, and killed near his home by
George Zimmerman, a Latino neighborhood watch captain in the Orlando,
Florida, suburb of Sanford. Zimmerman has not been charged with a crime.

A large and
growing<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/20/trayvon-martin-death-phone-call?newsfeed=true>
body
of evidence shows that Zimmerman, fancying himself some kind of community
guardian, had concluded for no good reason that Martin was "suspicious,"
left his vehicle to pursue and accost the physically smaller teen, and then
demonstrably lied about key details of the altercation that led to the
shooting in his initial account to police. Instead of arresting him, police
appear to have conducted a slipshod investigation, allegedly "correcting"
witnesses whose version of events didn't jibe with Zimmerman's jaw-dropping
claim that he had acted in self defense. As many have noted, it seems hard
to believe Zimmerman wouldn't have immediately found himself in handcuffs
had he shot a white teen under otherwise identical circumstances. On
Monday, in response to widespread outrage about the police handling of the
case, the U.S. Justice Department
announced<http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57400603-504083/feds-to-investigate-shooting-death-of-trayvon-martin/>
it
would be conducting its own investigation.
[image: cable_crop.jpg]
Between the shooting itself and the Justice Department's announcement,
according
ThinkProgress<http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/03/19/447289/all-major-news-outlets-cover-trayvon-martin-tragedy-except-fox-news/>,
CNN ran 41 segments on the Trayvon Martin case. MSNBC ran 13. Fox News
covered it only once.

In itself, that's a matter of news judgment that could probably be
defended. But I want to suggest that the disparity here may have something
to do with whether one thinks institutional racism remains a serious
problem in the United States. Conservatives often seem to think it isn't,
and that if anything, the real problem is how often spurious charges of
white racism are deployed by their political opponents, while liberals more
often tend toward the opposite view. Maybe both groups are drawing
justified inferences from the data they're seeing.

Like child labor, institutionalized racism -- in the form of quiet bias as
opposed to overt proclamations of white supremacy -- can be hard to detect
and quantify rigorously. In both cases, the people closest to the problem
have strong incentives to obscure and deny it.  So people tend to fall back
on what psychologists call the Availability
Heuristic<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic>,
a rule of thumb that says the frequency of an event should correspond to
how quickly you can think of examples of it. We automatically pluralize
anecdotes into data. Like much of our cognitive toolkit, it often misfires
in the age of modern media--it's why people tend to be irrationally
concerned with extremely rare threats, like child abduction by strangers,
that draw disproportionate media attention.

The tricky part, of course, is precisely in figuring out what level of
attention is "proportionate." People hearing about cases like Trayvon
Martin's will naturally tend to infer that for every such case that makes
national headlines, there must be far more that don't--cases where police
are far too quick to assume, even in the face of contrary evidence, that a
young black male was a criminal or an aggressor. If the producers at your
favorite news channel decide to give airtime to every similar case that
draws some local press attention somewhere in the United States, you'll
probably conclude that such cases are very widespread indeed. If, instead,
they only do so when such cases are impossible to ignore, having already
drawn intense national attention, you're more likely to conclude that the
few cases you do hear about count as "news" only because they're such
extraordinary outliers.

The peculiar problem of the information age is that we now have access to
far more true stories than any one brain -- evolved for life in groups of a
few hundred -- can possibly process. Our natural tendency to extrapolate
from the subset we're exposed to means we can wind up with wildly
inaccurate views of the world as a whole, even when all the stories we hear
are true. For people with a storytelling gift as powerful as Mike Daisey's,
or a job that empowers them to choose which of a hundred newsworthy tales
makes the evening broadcast, that implies a responsibility beyond the
traditional obligation to speak the truth. What we need today are the right
proportions of truth."