I definitely don't know if it was racially motivated or not either.
The information thus far is pretty damning but things can get
distorted pretty quickly when large amounts of media get involved. I'm
just glad to hear that a real investigation seems to being planned.
Perhaps it will get to the crux of the matter and find out what really
went down.

As for hate crimes in general, I'm really leery of things getting into
"thought crimes" territory. I have unpopular opinions. I treasure the
right to stand up for my opinions even if others find them odious. On
the other hand, intent really does matter when it comes to crimes.
When it comes to attacking people, to hurting, maiming, killing people
because of the color of their skin, the language they speak, their
perceived sexuality, their religion...those aren't just single crimes.
It's killing someone, yes, but it is also intimidation meant for
everyone else who shares that skin color, that religion, conveying the
message: "Watch your back, you could be next". And that, to me, is
what elevates it and makes it a crime on top of a crime. The victim
may be as dead as someone that got randomly shot during a house break
in, but the effect on everyone else is fundamentally different and to
not acknowledge that, I think we lose something important.

Cheers,
Judah