My earlier point was that in NJ (as far as I know) there are no
'local' jails with a 'general population' - they are just not big
enough. Even in Newark, the police stations do not have a 'cell block'
- hence no 'general population'. Typically those who will have an
extended stay are processed to the county jail to await trial, bail
hearing, etc.

Maybe NJ is different that way. Thankfully, I have not seen the inside
of any jail cells or prisons since we moved to WV.