On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Cameron Childress <camer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the likelihood that someone picked up at a routine traffic
>> stop with a warrant for failing to pay a fine will be carrying a shiv
>> that won't be picked up by metal detectors and a pat down and then
>> attack someone with it in jail?
>>

> If you are locked in a jail cell for 3 days with someone who stabs you in
> your sleep, would that change your mind?

No, it wouldn't change my mind. And this is an awesome example of why
we shouldn't base discussion of constitutional rights on the fear
engendered by hypothetical scenarios.

Jail would be even safer for the inmates and the guards if we kept
every person naked in solitary confinement. If safety and treating
people equally are the only criteria that matters, why not support
that move?

Judah