What is the likelihood that someone picked up at a routine traffic
stop with a warrant for failing to pay a fine will be carrying a shiv
that won't be picked up by metal detectors and a pat down and then
attack someone with it in jail?

We've abandoned the notion of reason in the name of fear.

This just follows the same pattern of fear and panic resulting in an
unreasonable clamp down by authorities and further erosion of personal
rights. Hey, it's "only" a strip search, right? Gotta keep everyone
safe no matter what! If we lose personal liberty in the process, hey,
for the greater good, y'know!

Is this one ruling the greatest travesty inflicted upon personal
liberty? No, of course not. It's just another point in the bigger
pattern. A further dehumanizing, a belief that we have to sacrifice
liberty for safety, that rights don't matter when you're arrested or
detained. Hell, you're pretty much strip searched by the TSA in one
form or another every time you fly, right? Why should it matter for
people who are arrested?

Guess I am an extremist.

Judah