On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Justin Scott <leviat...@darktech.org> wrote:

>> I'll let the lead author of the dissent, Justice Breyer, in this case
>> take out your argument:
>
> If you take the 1 in 23,000 figure and use it as an average over the
> claimed 13 million people who pass through intake every year, that
> works out to about 565 instances of contraband found each year, or
> about 1.5 instances per day.  Something that happens daily doesn't
> sound like a hypothetical to me.

Where do you draw the line though? What are you willing to do to get
that number down to 0? That's the big question.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it. Are we going to do a cavity
search on all the guards each time they enter the building to make
sure they aren't bringing in contraband? All the lawyers going to
visit their clients?

I don't think it is reasonable to expect that you'll eliminate drugs
from jails. And I'm depressed that we're willing to trade a pretty
basic right to not be strip searched without cause for an attempt at
increasing the discovery rate by 0.004 percent. Personal liberty means
more than that to me.

Juda