Disagree with you both on that one. Demand for some products is
inelastic. You can be as angry as angry gets and you will still need
to buy food, for example. Gas is a necessity in most rural areas as
well as in some urban ones, for another. Addicts will still buy
cigarettes no matter what, for a third.

There may be a valid argument for a national sales tax. I'm not sure
what it would look like, but it wouldn't include "people will be able
to punish the government by spending less." In my opinion anyway.