excluding food would make it somewhat less regressive. I don't want to
say what a good idea,  though, when the devil is in that sort of
detail. Depending on what exactly is being taxed, though, and how, it
might be fairer than what we have now. Although that is a very low bar
;)

What's to keep the uber-rich, for example, from buying their consumer
goods in the Bahamas or someplace with no sales tax? I realize that
some of the more obvious possibilities already have a VAT so I am just
playing devil's advocate here -- a lot depends on the specifics, is
the point I am trying to make.