"excluding food would make it somewhat less regressive. I don't want to say
what a good idea,  though, when the devil is in that sort of detail. "

There are plenty of regressive taxes in place now.

As mentioned before, the gas, tobacco, alcohol, and tanning bed taxes are
all regressive taxes.

Social security and Medicare are regressive taxes.

Even the "Progressive" tax system we have is regressive in that the super
rich do not pay taxes.

The stupid tax, aka the lottery, is also very regressive.

And then one can get into fees and licenses such as vehicle registration.

Basically, the poor and middle class are being screwed and neither party
will do anything to stop it aside from paying the problem lip service.

-

In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who
vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it. - Alexis de Tocqueville