Also long guns are not good for home defense.  Short carbines and shottys
are OK, but a pistol is the right tool.

You have to look at length, noise signature, over penetration, there are a
lot of considerations that go into choosing a defensive weapon vice an
offensive one.

Why do cops carry pistols instead of rifles for the most part?

Because most of the time they are in tight quarters, short range.  Because
you don't want that 5.56 going through your target, through the wall and
into the kid sleeping in the next room.

Additionally concealed carry is actually safer and less provacative than
open carry.