I learned my stuff from a set of very good Canadian military lawyers. They
later trained the lawyers who later went on to try the members of the
airborne regiment who tortured and killed that Somali teenager. We followed
the full protocols and had that endlessly drilled into us. A guy I went
through basic with was kicked out during our 2nd training summer for
roughing up an opfor during an exercise. the formal charge was a geneva
conventions violation. He got to resign instead, which pissed off  the rest
of us.