Ugly, absolutely, but that doesn't mean they weren't necessary, and how
many more lives are saved in the long run?

It was estimated we would have lost another million soldiers if we'd have
had to invade mainland Japan.

War is killing and breaking shit.  Anytime you try and make it something
else is when you lose.