Cam, the world you describe is one that is presented in some high school
economics texts, I suppose, but not really anywhere beyond that.

Rule number one of actual economics is that there is no truly free market.

The prerequirements of a free market includes absolute, instantaneous,
knowledge amongst all parties, it requires symmetry between actors and it
requires perfectly rational actors. It is a brilliant mental model that
lets us explore some interesting behavior. But it isn't a practical model
for the real world. It has applicability, yes, but actual predictive
modelling power? Not at all and no economist would pretend it does.

The closest we get to it in practice is probably the commodities market. We
come pretty close to having all the important information shared equally at
any given time and we are able to treat 1 ton of corn from Nebraska as
being logically equivalent to 1 ton of corn from Iowa and largely smooth
out the underlying differentiating factors.

The further we get away from that, the more we have to deal with actual
real entities and their complications. When you get to the level of
employment, you are deep down in the weeds where actors aren't rational,
differentiation between consumer and supplier is multifaceted and there is
substantial inequality of knowledge, which is itself asymmetric.

It is nothing close to a free market and it never will be. The requirements
for the simplistic model just cannot be met.

Now, that being said, there are a lot of economic models out there that try
and deal with the real world implications of these confounding factors. And
we can (and do) encourage "freedom" within those systems as they tend to
work best when there are fewer barriers. The systems do, however, require
constraints to protect the actors (on both sides) and to help the systems
toward optimization.

We're still trying to figure out the best way to deal with all those
things. It isn't obvious because it is a complex issue and an evolving
system. Society is including moral valuations (freedom, dignity,
fulfillment, etc) as variables in the equations that just don't arise in
systems like commodities. And at the end of the day, people aren't
commodities. Corn doesn't make choices. It isn't cut and dried and when you
are looking at the economics and policy involved in labor, you need to set
aside the simplistic notions of a "truly free market". If that hammer is
the only tool you have...well, you know the rest.

Cheers,
Judah