I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have
invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I
believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the
former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest
qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under
the shadow of the policeman’s club is false progress, and of no permanent
value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his
keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his
liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave. - H. L.
Mencken