> This is what I never understood.  I thought that the "original" Jews
closely
> resembled Arabs more than they do Caucasians.  But how come there are
> Caucasian Jews?  Did they pick up the religion in Europe?
>
> Are you a Jew if you practice Judaism?  Or are you a Jew if you're
> genetically a Jew?

The simple answer:
If your mother is jewish, then you are jewish, like it or not.
If you convert to judaism, you are also jewish.

To me its slightly different - I make a distinction between the race of
people jews and the religion jewish.  I, judith, michael, ben are all of the
jewish race.  Michael, Judith and Ben are all of the jewish religion as well
(although they practice very differently).  I have no religion.  To me, you
cannot convert to the jewish race, just the religion.