So call it nationality. The point is, the thing that makes a Jew a Jew, even if he or
she doesn't practice the religion, has to do with whether or not his or her mother is
a Jew, or whether or not the person in question converted to Judaism (a true
conversion). This is the traditional view by Jewish law. So if you don't want to call
it race, call it something else, but it's not strictly a religion thing.

Judith