My wife is a syrian Jew, and her family still lives in Syria, there are million of
jews still living all over the middle east in arab countries, and i dont recall my
wife ever telling me anything about this secret smuggling!! but i will make sure i ask
tonight!

And i think you ment were lifted into israel and not out of Israel!
But still  a million / half million  jews smuggled out of Iran ? I know many jews once
the state of ISrael was created moved to there promised land from all over the world,
espacialy Europe,  but secretly smuggling millions of people from arab countries, that
is new news to me....

And how is it possible to smuggle millions of People out of Iran when Iran and Israel
dont share a border ?, this is truely something i want to read since i know nothing
about.....

 Judith Dinowitz wrote:Pat, they were smuggled out secretly.

In 1947, with the declaration of the state of Israel, there were riots in Syria and
Jews who had lived there for generations had to leave the country in fear for their
lives. They had to leave their businesses and homes (and their money) behind. I think
it was either half a million or a million (?) Jews of Iran were airlifted out of
Israel in the 1980s in a secret operation by Israel -- they were also in fear of their
lives. They either ended up in Israel or the United States. I know a family that had
to be secretly smuggled out one family member at a time -- the oldest brother went
first, set things up for his mother and the other two kids, and the father came last.

They accepted an airlift from Ethiopia as well.

Israel has and will accept Jews from all over -- this is part of their right of
return.

I can find the exact dates and information on this from historical sources, but I
haven't had a chance to look.

Judith