Pat, if you'd like to read up on this phenomenon (Jewish refugees from Arab
countries), I suggest you look at this book:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0275971341/ref=cm_custrec_gl_rec/002-0302911-3070433

Title: Locked Doors: The Seizure of Jewish Property in Arab Countries
by Itamar Levin, Rachel Neiman (Translator)

>From a review on that page:

"The 12 chapters in this superb 235-page book detail the brutal expulsion of Jewish
residents of Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Lebanon by totalitarian Arab regimes after
Israel's 1948 creation. These were part of a mass ethnic cleansing that swept Arab
regimes in the Middle East in the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s. Some 850,000 Jewish
residents of 22 Arab lands--whose families had inhabited them for thousands of
years--were robbed of homes, businesses, bank accounts and all their worldly
possessions.
The author worked with editors at Israel's financial newspaper, Globes, and Dalia Tal,
Amira Liss in London, Rom Dagoni in Washington and Samir Rafaat of Egypt, to interview
a series of Jewish immigrants from Arab lands. But he also supplies proof--documents
and photographs from the Israel State, Central Zionist, Joint Distribution Committee
and Hagana Archives and the Public Records Office in London."

Note that the review does mention Syria as one of the countries that did this.

Judith