This furthers the point I was trying to get across to Beth. That the US
benefits from instability in that region (re: the oil), and that they
slowly/indirectly perpetuate it for their own benefit (like a chess match).
Aka - taking advantage of the situation.

> > Because the Arabs are in conflict with Israel, they spend
> that money on
> > weapons to keep up with Israel's arsenal.
> Rather than paying for food, clothing, education and
> everything else that
> their people actually need. In truth, the Arab arsenal is
> more than equal to
> Israel's. There was a nice report about it in the NYTimes
> (not the most
> Israel favoring paper in existance). It has nothing to do
> with 'keeping up'.
> It has to do with getting ready to remove Israel from the map.

Mike, we're in agreance again and you're furthering my point. The US
benefits from them not spending the money on food, clothing, and education.
If they did that, the region might actually become established and try to
make something of itself. The only problem is if their power increased, easy
access to oil goes bye bye. It's called keeping power out of the wrong
hands. The wrong hands in this case are the arab nations - they have our
power (literally - as in fuel), but we keep them from using that against us
by creating false conflict.

> > If Israel and the Arabs were at peace with each other,
> setting their small
> > issues aside and becoming one people - Israel wouldn't need
> that many
> > weapons to defend itself, and there wouldn't be such a need
> for the arabs
> > purchase so many weapons.
> Hm. So when Israel was willing to live in peace and was
> invaded in 48, it
> was their fault? When they offered land and all to the
> Palestinians with
> Oslo and the Palestinians turned around and started this new
> fighting, it
> was Israel's fault? (Arafat's aids have may times stated that
> the current
> fighting was planned). Israel has gone out of its way time
> and again to give
> peace a chance. The result, attacks again and again. They
> even left Lebanon
> to a UN approved border. The result, attacks and kidnappings over that
> border (without a single UN peep).
> Your "lets just be one people and get along" totally fails in
> the face of
> this. What of all the Jewish communities in Arab countries
> that were totally
> obliterated when Israel was created? Communities that went
> back literally
> thousands of years. Where was the live and let live there?
> Dreams are nice, but the reality of the situation is a LOT different.

I'm not saying it's Israel's fault at all. I'm saying it's the conflicting
religions and I've said that all along. I think both sides are acting stupid
to tell you the truth - I'm not biased :)