From: "Brian Ledwith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Community" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 3:55 PM
Subject: RE: Reason 49er why athletes should stay on the field and away from
the microphone...

> Tim (and whoever else reads this),
>
> Firstly, I agree, and respect, your stance.
>
> I agree with you about "I think as a business owner you should be able to
hire, fire, promote and exclude anyone you feel like it for any reason",
remember that I fired the guy because I found his behavior to be
unacceptable.  Could he have brought me to court over it?  Maybe.  Screw
him.  It's my company, he violated my policies, and I gave him the boot.

> I think that if we were to talk, you would see that I'm in full agreement
with "I am an American.  I am a constitutionalist.  I believe in the 1st
Amendment".   Like you, I too volunteered a number of years of my life to
protect the freedom and rights of Americans, and I'd live nowhere else.

> My argument, and I don't even want to call it an argument, is that there
is a minimal level of maturity, professionalism, and respect that I expect
from people.

> It's amazing.  I know there are a number of lurkers on this list, and most
of us have email addresses on the side that we know no one else knows we
have.  I've actually received 8, off-list emails since I made my original
post.

> -A few telling me to "F off"
> -One to "F off and move to Canada" (I didn't quite get his/her point, but
I think it's the same wiseass that said that to me a year ago when I posted
something about guns [Note: I own one, regardless of the point I was making
a year ago])
> -One saying "Thanks for the post, Brain, it's tough to be gay..."
> -And surprisingly (or not), a few containing just one word, "faggot".
>
> The "faggot" ones demonstrate my point, though...  Did they have the
_right_ to say that?  Yup.  Do I respect that right?  Yup.  If these
unidentified people ever sent me a resume, regardless of their
qualifications, would I consider hiring them?  Absolutly not.

> Part of my point is that as adults, I feel a (like I said above) minimum
level of maturity needs to be demonstrated before someone opens their mouth.

> A good example:
> A few months ago I was keeping an eye on the CF-Jobs and CF-Jobs-Talk
lists, as I was looking to hire two developers for a 3 month project.  (The
position, by the way, was full-time, telecommuting, and paid $7000 a month.
Not bad, huh?)  All it took was a few people talking like drunken frat boys
for me to drop a friendly reminder, aimed at no one specific, saying, "You
might want to watch what you say here, as there are a few people with a
fistful of cash watching."  A few of them had the nerve to email me off-list
telling me to piss off.  Fine, they went on my shitlist (pardon me).  One of
them actually had the impudence to send me an offensive email from account,
and then a resume for the position I vaguely mentioned from another account.
How do I know it was the same person?  Because the moron didn't pay
attention to his signature file.  The same name, address, phone number, on
both the "F-off" and the "I have excellent communication skills" emails.

> That is what I'm trying to get at.  Put a rifle back in my hands, a
uniform on my back, and I'll go back and defend my (and yours and his and
hers...) right to say whatever I want.  But for Christ's sake, think before
you speak.

> I've received 2 more emails since I started this, both telling me to f
off.  Do they really expect me to write back?