Ben Doom wrote:
>What do you prefer?
>
>We use MS SQL 2K here, but are looking into using MySQL for intranet
>rollouts, so I'm curious as to your opinion.

I prefer almost everything over MySQL. I can deal with weird syntax. I can deal with
performance issues. I can deal with murky installations. I can deal with bad
documentation. I can deal with limits on the number of simultaneous connections.

I can not deal with databases that give me back a different value from what I inserted.

If I insert the string 'This is a string ' into a varchar field, I want it back with
the trailing space, not without it. If I insert a 50 character string in a 25
character field, I want an error, not a truncated string. If I define an integer field
to be NOT NULL, that does not mean I want any NULL I insert to be silently converted
to a 0.

Foremost, a database needs to be correct. The outcome of queries in relational
databases is mathematically exact. IMHO, that means MySQL simply does not qualify as a
relational database.

Jochem

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481