so... in your opinion mySQL would not be an improvement over Access say?

I have two db projects. let me ask your opinion.

1. A patient registry which while be almost entirely character data and
booleans. Some counters. Will be very low-traffic. I am using mySQL for
this.

2. A patient system which should be scaleable and capable of being modified
for fairly high security. Again, will handle primarily booleans and
character data, but must be able to accomodate medium to high traffic.

The people who want 2 wanted an Access db but I moved away from that for
scalability reasons. Since I am still working with test data on that one I
could switch databases; should I? I do also have SQL Server and pgSQL
available.... I had not contemplated the latter simply because I know
*nothing* about it.

Dana

Jochem van Dieten writes:

> Ben Doom wrote:
> >What do you prefer?
> >
> >We use MS SQL 2K here, but are looking into using MySQL for intranet
> >rollouts, so I'm curious as to your opinion.
>
> I prefer almost everything over MySQL. I can deal with weird syntax. I can deal with
> performance issues. I can deal with murky installations. I can deal with bad
> documentation. I can deal with limits on the number of simultaneous connections.
>
> I can not deal with databases that give me back a different value from what I
> inserted.
>
> If I insert the string 'This is a string ' into a varchar field, I want it back with
> the trailing space, not without it. If I insert a 50 character string in a 25
> character field, I want an error, not a truncated string. If I define an integer
> field to be NOT NULL, that does not mean I want any NULL I insert to be silently
> converted to a 0.
>
> Foremost, a database needs to be correct. The outcome of queries in relational
> databases is mathematically exact. IMHO, that means MySQL simply does not qualify as
> a relational database.
>
> Jochem

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm