What you didn't factor in is the legal costs of all the appeals that go into a death penalty case.  If the state is going to kill a person, they have to be very, very, very sure they are killing the right person and this usually requires such cases to go to at least a state supreme court level, if not well into federal courts often to or nearly to the US supreme court.

The trouble with this in my mind is in our flawed system, we have too many cases of maybe this person did this crime, but the state really can't prove it concretely.  And it is very very very hard to repeal a death penalty once it has been carried out if new evidence comes to light proving the convicted person  was actually innocent.  Not only did the State wrongly execute an innocent person, the often overlooked corollary is the actual guilty person got away with the crime!

So I tend to be against the Death Penalty, I would be very against the death penalty without an appeals process because that would make it even more likely that unfortunate innocents could get railroaded into the execution chamber.

While there are definitely very specific, individual cases that probably deserve to be removed from humanity in a very immediate and permanent way, until it can be proved that ONLY these individuals end up in the executioners hands, I would rather they be locked away behind very secure doors until they leave this world on their own accord, so that mistakes in Justice can someday be corrected.

Philip Arnold Asked:

Now, if you DO have the death penalty, you only have to pay for them
during the time upto their execution, and then the execution itself

So, how can 20+ years of keeping them in prison cost more than the
execution? Unless someone is REALLY ripping off the state, then you're
gonna save Millions, aren't you?

Confidentiality Notice:  This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.