If you use the dealth penalty, you have to pay for all the items you
mentioned plus years of attorney's fees, judge's salaries, special
charges in the prisoner's defense which go back to the state, court
administration fees, etc. plus this all this takes valuable time away
from the courts. If you finally do get the point where someone is
executed, you also have to pay for the execution and burial, which often
exceeds $40,000 per execution.

In cases where the state got it wrong and sentenced someone to death for
a crime that person did not commit (and this happens in more cases than
any State's Attorney would like to admit), the person who is released
comes away with a portion of their life lost to prison without
compensation. They have pervasive emotional issues, severe difficulties
finding employment and, unless they have family to support them, often
end up indigent because they possess no marketable skills (in other
words, people's ability to contribute to society is severely impacted by
such an action).

People's justifications for the death penalty cover a wide range of
ideas, but the ROI on death penalty cases is the worst of them. There is
no meaningful way to demonstrate costs are saved as a result of the
Death Penalty. There are states whose appeal systems have been
streamlined to decrease the number of prisoners on death row, but even
these have hidden costs associated that drive up the price of
maintaining the system.