'89 Mazda here. :-)

I did the super-frugal approach you describe to get myself out of debt after
school. Even though I didn't have great paying jobs, I was able to get rid
of college debt in just a couple years.

But I just couldn't keep it up. I missed eating at nice resturaunts. I
missed buying good quality meat from a real market instead of the mega farm
junk at supermarkets. (Just looking at Perdue chicken gives me the willies.)
I missed vacations. I still live frugally by American standards, but I don't
sweat buying stuff. I do drool over that Audi A4 I'm not going to have
though.

-Kevin