I don't think I have seen a good looking site done in Front Page. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Michael Kear
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 10:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Is HomeSite Soon To Be History?

Nick, how right you are.

One of the biggest problems with all the wizards that make things easy for
us is that they hide what's going on in the background.   There's nothing
wrong with that if you want to do what the wizard designer throught you'd
want to do, and if nothing goes wrong.

But if you want to tweak things a little, or if your environment isn't
exactly what the wizard designer allowed for, then you're on your own.

There's a lot of technology in my life I couldn't give a toss about how it
works, just so long as it does.  I don't care a damn WHY my CD plays so
much better than my vinyls.   As long as the VCR gets the football onto
the tape, I dont care how it does it.

But when it comes to my living - the web - I need to know all the ins and
outs.  I can't claim to be a professional at this unless I can understand
what's going on in the apps I produce.

So for me, hand-coding html is a must-have skill for anyone I use for my
sites.  That's not to say we hand code everything, just that everyone is
ABLE to do it proficiently.

"You can write a write a  good looking site in front page?  Well done, I'm
impressed.  Now write it using only the text editor and I'll consider
doing business."

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia
http://www.afp.zip.com.au

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Nick McClure wrote:

> It all depends on what you do. All I do is app development. We have other
> people on staff who do design work only. They use Adobe Illustrator and
> then open it in ImageReady or FireWorks to carve the design, but they
still
> hand code the HTML because that way they know more about it and it fits
> within or companies coding standards.
>
> I don't think we will ever see products like Studio, Homesite, BBEdit,
> UltraEdit, etc.. go away.

[snippety snippety snip]

the body.