The fact is that as technology progresses, some things that it was important
to do by hand become less so. Using SQL Server is a good example of this. A
good admin needs to know more than the new wizards in SQL server 7, but that
doesn't mean that the wizards are all bad, are necessarily inferior, or even
that there is a compelling reason to know how to do by hand what some of the
wizards do. If they do the job properly, that's what matters. You simply
bypass those that don't. And THAT is the key!

Similarly with visual editors. I still use Studio for the most part, but I
sometimes use Dreamweaver. There are many operations that are just much
faster with a visual editor and if you know what you are doing, then you
don't have to worry about bad code because you won't be making it (unlike
Frontpage where you can't stop it). Take tables: it is much faster to move
columns around and generally manipulate tables in DW than in Studio, so I
often pop in there to do it. I have no idea what a previous poster was
talking about: DW never inserts lots of empty rows or anything else.
Fireworks creates shim rows when it outputs HTML tables to split graphics,
but I've never had DW do that.

On the other hand, outside of particular things that I find quicker to pop
into DW to do, I still code by hand using Studio or TextPad. Knee-jerk
ignorance of the tools will no more benefit a developer than knee-jerk
acceptance. They have to be evaluated and used properly if they are used at
all. But I guarantee that there are many operations which, by dropping into
a good visual editor, I will complete faster and with equal quality, than
anyone using a text-based editor-- and no one on the receiving end will ever
know which is which. As long as that is the case, it's a good thing.

Chris Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  Technical Manager
p907.474.5122  |  f907.474.5402  |  PGP Key ID: 0x8687E87E