> i thought lists were always fastest. is this not true? when did this
happen?

It is my understanding that lists are stored in memory as string values, and
that looping through a list (or direct access of a specific list element)
ultimately results in a character-by-character iteration through the string.

Arrays on the other hand are stored in memory differently so that elements
can be directly accessed (such as arArray[23]) without a linear search or
progression.

In other words, the performance of list functions depends heavily on the
amount of data in the list. More data = slower results. The performance of
array functions is not affected by the number of array elements.  This is
why arrays are recommended over lists when dealing with anything other than
a trivial amount of data.

At least, this is the way that most languages are ultimately compiled into
machine code.  I don't know if this applies 100% to CF or not.

Regards,
Seth Petry-Johnson
Argo Enterprise and Associates