I just ran some tests, and was surprised by the results.

Caveats:

1)  These are simple looping tests, and only give a general idea of speed.
YMMV.
2)  Use the most reasonable variable type for the job.  Converting a list to
an array to use array functions may negate any performance gains you may
see. If you are looking for a value, and you only know its name, use a
structure.

The tests:

I created a series of simple loop statements for each variable type:
Queries, Arrays, Structures, and Lists.  They were all equivalent to a
2-dimensional array.  Each "Set" loop consisted of 5000 iterations.  I then
created another set of loops of 100 iterations to grab some values.

  I expected Structures to be fastest, but that honor went to Arrays.
Arrays are followed closely by Queries.  Structures were a little slower,
and lists took *forever*. Structures are very powerful, and definitely have
performance gains if you are dealing with keys/values, but are not
inherently faster.

Results:

Query Set Time: 3515 ms
Query Get Time: 10 ms
----
Array Set Time: 3174 ms
Array Get Time: 10 ms
----
Struct Set Time: 5368 ms
Struct Get Time: 20 ms
----
List Set Time: 47248 ms
List Get Time: 711 ms

If anybody wants to see the test code, let me know and I'll mail it offlist.
If anybody else has done any testing, I would like to see those results as
well.

Chris Evans
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.fuseware.com