> > Sure, but it doesn't seem like optimizing this specific
> > case is really going to help anyone in the real world.
>
> Aw, c'mon Matt, that's not the point, and you know it!

I was going to leave this alone, but I agree completely with Matt here. It
would be much more interesting and useful to see a comparison between a
real-world CFML page and its JSP counterpart.

> There are certain things that can benefit from optimization,
> frequently executed loops or other iterative processes are
> prime targets.

> But the CFMX compiler could do better, especially where it
> will have the greatest impact.

At what cost could it do better? I suspect that this may be more difficult
than it sounds on its face. CFML allows you to do all sorts of things, like
create variables at runtime, evaluate strings as expressions, and so on,
with on-the-fly compilation and caching.

> You can do just so much with best practices.
>
> Coding time-sensitive routines in Java or JSP may not be an
> option for everyone.

Every tool will have advantages and disadvantages. I think it's a foolish
venture to try to build a tool that does everything well. Want to write
easily-maintainable code quickly? Use a scripting language, like CFML. Want
to write an efficient calculation engine? Use something else. Want the best
of both worlds? Use each tool appropriately, to build a unified solution.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444

::::::::::::: dream :: design :: develop :::::::::::::
MXDC 02 :: Join us at this all day conference for
designers & developers to learn tips, tricks, best
practices and more for the entire Macromedia MX suite.

September 28, 2002  ::  http://www.mxdc02.com/
(Register today, seats are limited!)