After having seen thread after thread on this list and others discussing
code optimization for CF I am left with the following impression. People
seem to be missing the forest for the trees.

Every idea/technique that has been suggested thus far for code
optimization is a waste of time for almost all applications. Sure some
of these ideas/techniques code save a few milliseconds here and there,
but they offer very small gains in scalability. There are much simpler
ways to achieve greater scalability in less time than code optimization
e.g. caching. I suggest people spend their time seeking out these ways
instead of spending time on code optimization. You should only spend
time on code optimization after every other performance enhancement has
been tried. Further, servers are so cheap these days that adding
additional hardware tends to be far cheaper than developer time.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.montarasoftware.com/