But Matt's point is extremely valid and I think a technique way to many
developers overlook too consider with "keeping the code dynamic."
Caching can mean many things, on a heavily trafficked site, cache
portions of content for seconds can increase performance of the box
tenfold, without losing the benefits of dynamic content.

Also, I can't count the times I've heard someone complain about a page
taking 30-60 seconds to come up and after looking at it, it's some page
doing monthly reporting over achieved data. Granted, you can almost
always find ways to knock down processing time like that, but by simply
running the script one time in the middle of the night when the archived
data is needed and caching the page as a static page, you'll save you
safe tons of processing time and look like a genius.

And if you're saying, well you can't always cache content to a static
page, they want to be able to dynamically manipulate the data. Well then
cache the data instead of the output. There are a number of ways you can
cache CF code, but if its db results, then store everything in archived
tables that contain the content post-calculations.

The bottom line is caching is one of the few ways to make even bad code
perform well, and it just makes good code perform better.

-Dan

Code)

> Matt Liotta wrote:
> >
> > Every idea/technique that has been suggested thus far for code
> > optimization is a waste of time for almost all applications. Sure
some
> > of these ideas/techniques code save a few milliseconds here and
there,
> > but they offer very small gains in scalability. There are much
simpler
> > ways to achieve greater scalability in less time than code
optimization
> > e.g. caching. I suggest people spend their time seeking out these
ways
> > instead of spending time on code optimization.
>
> As you said it yourself (it was you, right?) there is a difference
> between performance and scalability. And I think most people are
> discussing performance here.
>

> > You should only spend
> > time on code optimization after every other performance enhancement
has
> > been tried.
>
> Remember the example I gave where switching from treating a long
Base64