Well I think I have no choice but to give up.  I have been trying to get
someone  to help with my problem for 3and a half hours now, and its
after 5am Saturday. I still have a partial installation of CFMX. It
doesn't work and nor does my previous CF5.0.  What began at 9pm last
night as what I thought would be a 20-30 minute job before stopping work
has turned into an 8 hour nightmare with no sign of any solution.

No one seems to be able to see what my problem is.  All I've had in the
last 3.5 hours is either "calm down and fix your problem" or "rtm" or
being told to do something that's at least 4 steps past where the
installation got to.

The problem is this:  I was stupid enough to believe the Macromedia docs
when they said CFMX could coexist on a winXPPRO system with CF5.0.  When
it proved that it would work but only if you measure response times with
a calendar, I decided to bite the bullet and go for CFMX on my Dev
server rather than both servers.   I removed the CFMX, and reinstalled
it according to the installation instructions on the Macromedia site.
Out of 11 steps, it got to step 7 and won't go further.  NO one has
seemed to grasp this notion so far.

I think I am going to have to tear down all my CF server stuff, and
rebuild CF5.0 from scratch, then probably have to redo all my DSNs too
because last time I installed CF it broke all the DSN settings. It'll do
it again probably.   Somehow I'll have to figure out which Macromedia
registry keys are for Fireworks, which for DWMX, which for FlashMX so I
can leave those there, and which are for CFMX and which for CF5.0.

I just apologise for having such a boring problem that no one wants to
bother with it any more.   I tried to look in House of Fusion's archives
for IIs or CFMX but you get fifty gazillion entries.

This list is becoming very clique-plagued.   Unless you're one of the
inner circle on this list, its difficult to get a question answered.
I'm sorry about that because it has been a wonderful resource over the
last 3 years as I learned about ColdFusion.  Now it's next-to-useless
because it's all about CFMX,  I don't have CFMX, and it seems no one
will help me GET CFMX either.

SO back to CF5.0 I go I suppose.  That's if I can actually get that to
work.

Does anyone have any idea how I can recover all the settings I had in my
CF5 now that the installation has partially wrecked it?

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.