I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, specially Chris
Kief who did a remote session on my desktop yesterday, and Dave Watts
who has suggest numerous things ... but none of it helps me connect CFMX
to IIs.

Here's what I'm up to now ..

I have installed CFMX and can operate under the CFMX web server on port
8500.   That's cool. But I can't get it to connect to IIs, and the fault
is in the package I downloaded from Macromedia's site.  Don't tell me
different because I have seen it a dozen times now.

What happens is that the install package extracts a file called
jrunwin32.dll which gets a create timestamp as at the moment it's
extracted from the install package.  Later, when you need to connect to
IIs, the following message is logged when the connect routine aborts:

[quote]
C:\CFusionMX\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrunwin32.dll newer than JAR file
C:\CFusionMX\runtime\lib\wsconfig.jar so not extracted
[/quote]

This means that none of the following events in that routine occurs,
including creating a folder called \1\ which is supposed to contain
jrun.dll. The file jrunwin32.dll is included in the download. It is
extracted by the install routine, which promptly falls over on its own
file.  THAT is a flaw in the install routine, surely. It's nothing to do
with my machine.  Isnt that correct? Or am I reading it wrong?  Surely
this is a fault in the package I downloaded from Macromedia.

However, jrun is actually running on my system.  I don't know why
because it didn't exist before the install of CFMX.

Dave Watts suggested I treat the wsconfig.jar as a zip compressed
archive and extract the single file I need, jrun.dll and do the job
manually. I'm about to give that another go, but that archive contains
614 files.  If I only use the one of them, what about all the others?
What were they all there for if I don't need them?

Frankly, the only reason I'm persisting with this is because I NEED to
have ColdFusion.  IF I was really evaluating this to see if ColdFusion
would be a good technology for my company to use, I'd have dumped it
ages ago.  Surely an evaluation copy of a program should be the one that
is the most trouble-free.   There is no trouble shooting stuff in the
docs, the whole assumption is that everything is going to work perfectly
and no hint as to what you should do if it doesn't.

I don't know what I'm going to do now, since I can't connect it to IIs.