Or, perhaps more realisitically, specific to amount of control that the
browser developer has offered you.

There's really no reason that well-constructed Flash application can't offer
similar control within itself.  There's definitely an issue of time (would
you do this for a small, one-time applet?) and consistency (will every
developer offer a different set of options/styles?) but there's nothing in
Flash preventing it.

The level of control given to the end user is developer controlled.
Different applications offer different levels.  A productivity app in which
a user spends a lot of time (a word processor, PIM, or a browser) may be
heavily configurable while even a complex game may limit the control offered
to preserve the emotional context of the game.

That being said there is a pretty solid correlation to the amount of time
spent in an application (as a user-base) and the amount of customization
that application provides.  Flash applications generally offer little
customization as much time isn't spent with them.  The Flash developer's
interface on the other hand - LOTS of customization.  ;^)

Jim Davis

ColdFusion and related topics.