Thanks Clint and Dave. Both things help. I can access the cfc if I put
it in the wwwroot, but still not when it's in a subdirectory. And for
some crazy reason, the cfc throws a database error when I try to run it
from the wwwroot.

I found some documentation on Enabling Flash Remoting for all sites on a
server.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/ts/documents/tn18307.htm#en
abling It says that by default when you install CFMX it gives you
permission to access cfcs in the root, but that's it.

"Although the installation does not configure virtual sites, ColdFusion
MX pages will run because certain default settings are assigned to the
Master Properties sheet. But, because JRunScripts virtual directories
are not created for virtual sites at install and also because virtual
sites cannot access the JRun Connector ISAPI filter, Flash Remoting
service is limited to the Default website."

This makes sense. When I do the test
http://www1.yoursite.com/flashservices/gateway I get a blank page (which
is correct) and when I try
http://www1.yoursite.com/jhg/misc/flashservices/gateway I get a 404
error (which means you don't have access). The notes say to:

"1. Stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service.
2. Run the cf_root\bin\connectors\Remove_ALL_connectors.bat to remove
the existing ISAPI filter.*
3. Run the cf_root\bin\connectors\IIS_connectors.bat to properly
configure all existing sites.
4. Start the World Wide Web Publishing Service."

When I run "Remove_All_connectors.bat" it initializes in a cmd prompt
and says "This will remove all CFMX Webserver Connectors. Press any key
to continue. When I hit any key it says: "The system cannot find the
path specified. Press any key to continue". I hit another key and the
command line window closes. I don't think it completed it's mission, but
if I then try IIS_connector.bat it does a bunch of stuff and then says
"This Webserver is already configured for JRUN".

Should it be so hard to remotely access a cfc that's not in the webroot?

TIA
Greg