CF
> could be what tips the scale. If that is the case, then a cheaper
> implementation of CFML (BlueDragon) can certainly help in that regard.

It definitely has an effect, but in most cases (and certainly not in
CF's case) the cost of software is very small compared to maintenance
and general infrastructure costs.

Even managing a small, single Intranet server using free software can be
(often surprisingly) very costly once you do a full resource
map/prediction - especially when extended to the life of the server.

All that being said every little bit does help.  ;^)  If software costs
are lower then you total project costs COULD definitely be lower (but
often aren't due to other factors not commonly taken into account).

> > Many hosting companies are hosting their Intranet at "public" hosts
for
> > this reason.  There are some hosts that do nothing but traditional
> > Intranet applications along with email (Exchange hosting, for
example,
> > is pretty common due to the cost and complexity of managing an
Exchange
> > server).
> >
> That may be, but there are serious issues with outsourcing internal IT
> resources externally that many of these companies may not be aware of.
> One example of this is that their WAN connection becomes a single
point
> of failure. Then of course there are legality issues related to giving
> non-employees access to sensitive data that aren't under specific
> consulting agreements, which is the case when your email is hosted by
> 3rd party.

All true - this all depends, of course, on how much the company wants to
spend as well.  If you want to get away more cheaply you'll be
sacrificing some things.  A full "bullet-proof" system will always cost
more.

> > No, consider an Intranet with is planned to contain, let's say, six
> > distinct applications (not at all uncommon).  My case now is that
each
> > of these applications only has to save two hours of development time
> > due
> > to CF for it to be just as cost effective as a "free" solution.
> >
> Of course, the case with BlueDragon would only need to save one hour
> per application.

True.  I'm not arguing against Blue Dragon but rather the concept that
software costs (at this level) are major considerations.  Too many times
I've heard "we can't afford CF" only to watch a company spends thousands
more pursuing an untried "free" solution.

The problem here is almost always one of training and applicability.  A
company that has great Linux/PostGres/PHP people will, of course, use
them.
But a company looking for a solution often gravitates to free software
due to cost concerns.

Developers are then in the position of learning these tools as they
develop - which ends up costing far, far more in the long run than
setting up, for example, a Windows environment that they may have some
experience with.

For a medium/large company this isn't a problem as the extra time can be
split with R&D/Training and down the road you do gain.  But for the very
small company this often locks them into a money-pit; tying them into a
solution they don't know and resulting either in a failed project or one
that doesn't meet expectations.

Many of them are roped in by contractors that claim they can "pick up"
something easily.  My advice to small business is always stick with what
you know and always pay extra for gurus.

Jim Davis